One of the results of increased production in industry during and after World War I was the rise of the Mexican community in Indiana Harbor. Attending Mass at the various ethnic parish in the city did not give them comfort and they hoped to one day have a parish of their own. This hope was realized in the person of Father Octavio Zavatta, C.PP.S. an Italian missionary of the Precious Blood who worked among the people and celebrated Mass for them originally in the basement of Saint Demetrius Church.
Within a year property was purchased at 3855 Pennsylvania Avenue in order to build a church which was completed and dedicated by Bishop Noll on January 30, 1927.
Father Apolinar Santa Cruz, a Mexican priest seeking asylum from the religious persecutions occurring in Mexico. He arrived in 1927 and succeeded Father Zavatta in august of that year. Father Jose Lara, also from Mexico replaced him in July of 1929.
The parish worked closely together, particularly during the depression and made sure that everyone was cared for and had the basic necessities for their families.
In April of 1937 with the departure of Father Lara, the administration of the parish was given to the Priests of the Sacred Heart, whose Motherhouse was in Hales Corners, Wisconsin. With their arrival, Father Patrick O’Neill, S.C.J. would become the new pastor. A fire caused damage to the church and the community desired to build a new church closer to their neighborhood. This was done on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 12, 1939, when the cornerstone was laid at the new site on 135th and Deodar Street. The former church became the parish of Saint Jude. The new church would be completely remodeled in 1976.
The Sacred Heart Fathers would serve the parish until 1986 when the Precious Blood Priests would take over. Father Leo Huber, C.PP.S. arrived on September 1, 1986. His successor would be Father Juan Gonzalez, C.PP.S. who came to this country from Chile in 1990 and would serve the community until July of 2013. In 2004, the church was again remodeled and enlarged to accommodate more seating and add a new Chapel for daily Mass celebrations.
In July of 2010, Colombian missionary priests from the Immaculate Conception Association, came to work in the diocese of Gary, within various Spanish speaking parishes. With the retirement of Father Gonzalez, in July of 2013, the administration of the parish was given to the Priests of the Immaculate Conception Association.
On August 10, 2013, Bishop Dale J. Melczek, installed Father Carlos Martinez as pastor at Our Lady of Guadalupe, until the present day.
In October of 2015, a missionary from the Third Order of Franciscans, Eileen Lora, worked diligently to help with the motivation of instituting a Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration Chapel. On December 24, 2015, Bishop Donald J. Hying consecrated the new chapel, and from that day forth, our Lord is adored every hour of every day until He comes again!